Who We Are
Milestone is a private, nonprofit, community-based human services agency supporting the needs of individuals with behavioral health challenges and intellectual and developmental disabilities in communities throughout Western Pennsylvania. Since 1969, Milestone has grown to more than 470 employees and has celebrated its own landmark events, including:
- Marked 45th anniversary of service to Allegheny County in 2014.
- Providing direct care services to 2,700 persons annually in Allegheny and Westmoreland counties.
- Obtaining five new residences in 2013, bringing the total to 23. The homes receive round-the-clock supervision by 114 caring staff.
- Developing 26 programs.
- Changing its name in 2007 from Allegheny East Mental Health & Mental Retardation Centers, Inc., to Milestone Centers, Inc. The impetus for change was a growing geographical service area and a preference not to use “mental retardation” in its name.
- Receiving a contract from the Commonwealth in 2000 to provide training and assistance to families and professionals. The Health Care Quality Units, based in Butler and Warren, PA, exist to increase the competency of community physical and behavioral health care providers.